Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Gratitude progress

While I have not gotten the leaf season to the flimsy stage (just need to connect a row and put on borders), I thought I'd better get moving on the Gratitude quilt before I'm too far behind on that one. I spent today cutting, and I have to tip my hat to Judy. I have gotten some good cutting instructions in the past, but these were SO on target, I can't believe how little 'waste' there was! I haven't cut the squares for the 25 patch yet, I'm thinking that I may do those by strips. I'm still pulling a few extra fabrics to include for some spark, although I have most chosen and ready. Tonight I will draw my little lines for the HSTs so that I can do them later this evening or in the morning-its a good TV project, and yes, I need to sew on the line. HSTs are the bane of my existence! I need to be very careful, or they get wonky while my back is turned. This isn't just another conspiracy theory...its real, I've lived it too many times!! LOL no photos yet-nothing worth taking a picture of yet

7 comments:

Linda C said...

I used to have such troubles with HSTs too but then I found I did much better with sew and then cut, instead of cutting them and then having the machine pull them every which way and me veering off to the left at the end of the stitching. It sure didn't hurt for me to have them marked on the paper either as it stabilizes it. Thangles or triangles on a roll without a doubt or foundation piece up from EQ. Light enough new print paper and out it comes easily. I say this after trying it the other way for years.

quiltpixie said...

HST are a real test of a 1/4 seam! I must admit to prefering to draw a grid on a large piece of fabric, and make a bunch the same...

Hedgehog said...

I'm a big Thangle fan - might help.

Unknown said...

I totally sympathise - I abhor doing triangles in any shape or form and avoid doing them like the plague but just love them when they're done :o)

Susan said...

Have you tried Thangles or Triangles on a Roll? Perfect every time I use them. Maybe not so perfect when I don't. =) The trick to taking off the papers is to 1) use a small stitch; 2) press the squares open with the paper still on; 3) fold the paper along the stitching line; 4) grasp the seam in one hand and the paper triangle in the other and snap off, don't tear!

bingo~bonnie said...

I too draw the lines to sew on when I make my HST's ;) Good for you on getting Leaf Season to the boarder stage...you'll get it done.

I can't wait to check back and see your graditudes progress. I am anxious to see what colors you are using. You didn't mention your color choices yet. Happy Weekend! ~Bonnie

ForestJane said...

I print my own grid with my computer and just sew through the paper. They come out so NICE and precise that way. :)