Friday, April 26, 2013

On the needles for April 26, 2013

After making the socks that I have been posting about since January, I have a lot of leftover sock yarn hanging around.  I decided that before I make any more socks, I’d try to finish off those pieces.  I found a free pattern on Ravelry, specifically designed to use up leftover sock yarn.  I’m less than half way thru this shawl.  The designer alternated between garter and stockinette on the stripes, but since it starts out with over 500 stitches, I’m just knitting. No way am I going to purl  rows of 500 + stitches, not even using the Norwegian purl, which causes much less cramping for my hands.

Some of the yarns were self striping, the turquoise is the most obvious of these, and as you can see, doing something too much larger than a sock really eliminates the stripes.  The pattern is Leftovers Faroese Shawl, it uses approx. 1600 yds of yarn. For mine, I’m alternating the leftovers with a few skeins of solid purple that I had on hand….one of those “oohh, I like this, I’ll figure out something to make from it later” purchases.

9 comments:

Judy D in WA said...

This is a great use for those leftovers. I love the purple stripe. Thanks for sharing the pattern, I think I need a shawl like this.

straythreads said...

wonderful idea! the purple is perfect
Ann

Cathy said...

I was wondering what to do with the leftovers I'm beginning to accumulate. You just answered that question. I love that shawl!

carol fun said...

Great looking shawl - thanks for the idea. I am just about drowning in leftover sock yarn and really need some ideas. Have a great weekend!

Paula, the quilter said...

I've been making squares for an afghan with the left over sock yarn. I have a squares out of each pair of socks I've knitted. Know what? I still have some sock yatn left over. I'll have to search Ravelry for this pattern. Thanks.

Judy D in AZ said...

How fun and yet practical. I added that pattern to my library at Ravelry. Thanks for sharing.

NurseBrandy said...

What a gorgeous result you're getting! It's a very nice idea for using up all of that leftover sock yarn, and guaranteed to be nice & warm, too. Love it!

:)

McIrish Annie said...

is is all sock yarn? what size needles are you using? I got a bunch leftover might give this a try but like you will knit it only.

Judy S. said...

What a lovely shawl! Bet it gives you a good feeling having used up all those sock leftovers.