Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Ok, I'm back...and I have a question for you



Would you believe NO chocolate in the house? Actually, the cupboards were pretty bare of everything. I've been on a diet (lost 50 lbs.) and now am trying to maintain the loss for a while before trying to lose more. In order to facilitate dieting, I haven't been buying anything which could tempt me to cheat. On top of that,my son has been home and cooking and eating up a storm. He is a creative cook. He is fearless, imaginative and always seems to hit the mark, taste wise. However, creative in his case also means messy and disorganized. We really have to clean up after he cleans up! LOL And we never seem to know that he has used the last of something. I can't complain, I enjoy eating his meals, and on the nights he cooks and dh cleans up, I am happier than if I went out to eat. I am amused by it all, perhaps bemused is a better word. He is also very health conscious and will get after me if I eat something 'wrong'.

What he doesn't know is that when I have my granddaughter on Fridays (just for the summer) we usually manage to stop for a treat some where. According to my sage cutie, "Grammy, cookies make everything better". Pretty cool- I have lots of frustrations, but far more blessings.

Now- to quilting: I'm attaching a few pictures of the Christmas gift quilt that I am currently working on. Can't mention the intended "giftee" in case they happen to see this. I've gotten the individual rows assembled and now need to finish pressing and then join them. Two borders will surround the blocks. The inner one will be the blue from the toile sq in a sq, the outer border will be the darker print from the 9 patch sq in a sq. When I picked out the fabrics, I loved the combination. I still do, but now that the pieces are assembled, there isn't as much contrast between these to blues as I thought. (you may have to click on the photo to enlarge it to actually see the 2 fabrics) I would have preferred more contrast, but I still like it.
This is as much as I could get onto the design wall for now.

I have discovered that I love 9 patches and 4 patches. I have noticed that many of the quilts or patterns that I am drawn to have 9 or 4 patches in them. I wonder why that is? Also realized that a few years back I would have loved making them by strip piecing and getting them done quickly, now I prefer to do them square by square. (it helps that, for me, the results are also more accurate this way- I really, really like accurate) Anyway, that made me wonder, what kind of pattern appeals to you? (stars, hsts, medallion, appliqué, 4 patch..etc.)

18 comments:

Sweet P said...

Congrats on the weight loss! I've been watching what I eat lately too.

What's my favorite pattern? Lately I've been doing a lot of stitcheries and making them into blocks. I also a Depression quilt with tons of HSTs. They are OK, but, just like eating a lot of chocolate, sometimes you just have to find something else to do.

Vicki W said...

This is a pretty quilt! I too lvoe 9 and 4-patch quilts. I'm also drawn to star quilts. I guess I just love tradition.

Shelina said...

Ooh "going to pieces" certainly describes what you are going through with the last post. So sorry, seems like you are holding your own and managing through though.
I think 4 patches and 9 patches are used so often because they are versatile and easy for a beginner to do. I tend to like a quilt for its color - and keep telling myself I can make any quilt any color I want. I like the simple quilts for their ease and speed of completing, but I really like the look of more complicated quilts with applique. So there it is - I want quilts that look difficult but are actually quite easy. I've found several, but my list of quilts to make is enormous.

tami said...

I love your quilt. Someone is going to be really happy this Christmas.
I tend to like the simple quilts. 4-patches and 9-patches. I find I am really attracted to the patterns that use 4 patches with triangles like Buckeye Beauty.

Mary Johnson said...

Good job on the weight loss - unfortunately I'm busy gaining the weight I lost last year back.

I like nine patches too but strip pieced - I like quick. String quilts are a favorite of mine and almost any traditional, simple, scrappy pattern rates pretty high with me.

dot said...

Congrats on the weight. I am working on it but can't seem to loose. It sure is frustrating. My favorite right now is the nine patch snowball. I love how quickly it goes together and how it looks different depending on the fabric used.

The Calico Cat said...

Anything that would qualify as easy piecing & can be scrappy. I am generally not to thrilled with patterns that call for a limited number of prints & I aviod the ones that appear to be "hard." I am working on that, but in the mean time, I have a ton of fabric & if easy piecing will help make a dent, then so be it.

sewprimitive karen said...

Gail, congratulations on your weight loss. I am still at 48 pounds, so close to 50. I like to piece patches one by one, too.

QuiltingFitzy said...

I LOVE the low contrast on those blocks, make me "work" to see the design, makes me keep looking! The navy tone really sets everything off, and the toile' is just perfect too.

My favorite? A-L-L of 'em. Or more aptly put...my favorite is "my next quilt", the one in my brain, lol.

Carol said...

I love your low contrast...I call it mooshy...makes it look really old. I love 4 and 9 patches...if it has stars I love that too.

Susan said...

Fortunately, Paul grills most nights, so the cooking pots are minimal! I usually clean up, but if there are a lot of pots, he does those. I used to leave it all to him, but after about 18 months of retirement, guilt began to get me. =)

I love your pictured quilt - lucky recipient. I like the blocks made with squares, too. There is something so satisfying to me to line those things up. I usually do them square by square, because I'm doing scrap quilting. I throw in hsts and then I really can make most anything.

I think it's the balance of this kind of block that is so appealing.

I saw the pics below of your son's car. Poor guy! I hope it's all fixed now.

MARCIE said...

Don't do it!!! Stay away from the devel chocolate! You are doing great! Take it from me, one slip can begin a landslide. Your quilt is wonderful. I love the toile mixed with the 9-patches. I love anything with 9-patches!

Vicky said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I think any more contrast in the blues would have dulled the blocks. Awesome!

Unfortunlately, I don't have a favorite type of pattern. If I like it, I try it. Stars sing to me, as well as almost all applique projects. I guess the ones I like least are those that don't have definitely blocks in them, like the Irish chain I'm working on. I find those extremely boring. I like a beginning, middle and end to my blocks - almost like making a mini quilt with each block!

Cher said...

beautiful quilt in progress-lucky person to be receiving this quilt! and, well done on the weight loss-I am like you, keep the temptations out of my house, I do better! I like most patterns - not an applique person, but, still have a few bom's that include it on my ufo/to do list. I think square by square can be very fun-strip piecing often isn't accurate for me either

Hanne said...

I love stars, nine patches and four patches very much :-)

Unknown said...

I like basket blocks and star blocks.

My father also suffers from dementia. Sometimes he gets things in his head and you can't tell him different. He can be so stubborn. About 3 years ago we flew to Phoenix. When we got off the plan he got mad at my mom and me for going the wrong way. He was 100% sure that we had to go the other way down the hall because that was where we left the car parked. We could not get him to understand the car was still in Omaha and we were in Phoenix. I’m just glad he is usually happy and in a good mood. I understand what you go though with your mother.

Lizzy

Linda C said...

I used to think that I liked about any block. After working with Ohio Star blocks this past weekend (by traditional template type methods) I am not so sure about that. All that bias edge being drug through the feed dogs and pulling offline and the machine chewing up the edges made HSTs and QSTs made it more challenging but hey, two tops are done.

I guess I am drawn to designs that chain or graphically take your eye somewhere. No Turning 20's or YBRs for this girl. Your top is an excellent example of that--good job, Gail!

Betty J in OKC said...

I've got rid of 10 lbs this month. Remember that what you "lose" you eventually find again. LOL! I'm thrilled you got rid of those 50 lbs. :)

I'm enjoying the 4 and 9-patch quilts too. They're quick and pretty and I don't have to strain my brain to make them. The ones I *hate* are Ohio Stars. I find them boring.

My Mom has severe dementia and I take care of her too.