Monday, May 02, 2011

Design Wall Monday

 

My design wall is doing double duty today. It is serving as a post for Design Wall Monday (See what Judy and others are up to  at http://www.patchworktimes.com/2011/05/02/design-wall-monday-may-2-2011) and it is also the project for this months UFO Challenge.

I participated in a block swap a few years back, and these blocks are the result. jar quilt and finished bow tie 002Now I have to decide how to put them together. If you have ever tried to assemble a quilt made by a variety of quilters, you know that as much as everyone tries to make the same size block, they are different.  With this set, most of them are pretty close, but there are a few ‘individuals’. Looking at this photo, I noticed that one block is different than all the rest-hadn’t noticed until just now that the jars are placed in the reverse of every other block.  For this reason, I’d prefer to avoid just putting them all together, the seams will never match.

  A gifted designer friend suggested that I offset the blocks slightly, and fill the space with either lime green or turquoise, similar to what is shown in the top two rows of this photo. I’d have to figure out just how much to offset to avoid having some of the jars stack on top of each other.  How do you think it would look with sashing between the blocks? Ordinary, weird???

jar quilt and finished bow tie 005

Anyone have any suggestions? I’d appreciate some ideas.

2 comments:

Chris said...

That is part of the fun but very much part of the challenge in a block swap. I love the way it looks on your wall...

AnnieO said...

Fun blocks! Not so fun challenge to assemble. The green seems awfully bright to me, but maybe it is just becuase there are only a couple of pieces up on your design wall. Can you just use some more black?