Monday, September 26, 2011

Design Wall Monday for Sept 26

First, let me start off by dealing with the most important thing today—HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, my darlin’ MOTH! The past 41 years with you have brought me more joy than I could have ever imagined, and I would never made it through the tough times without your strength,wisdom and love. Love you, dar.

Now, for the design wall –

cheddar bow tie trials 002a

only 5 little blocks. I had to do a few test blocks of the Cheddar Bow Tie challenge (Bonnie Hunter) because….well, I wanted to see how they look and how they go together, I wanted to start something new even though I ‘m not ‘supposed’ to until I finish some more UFOs….basically, I just wanted to. As you can see from the samples,and after seeking MOTH’s  sage opinion,  I think I will be working with the cheddar/red color families instead of going scrappy for the ties.

I have made a very little progress on the Buck a Block. I have to say, I have begun to really dislike it. I loved the fabrics, still do. It is one of the Thangles promotional patterns, so of course, their purpose it to get you to do lots of HSTs using their product. Since starting this I have learned that I favor repeated/similar blocks over sampler/different blocks in a quilt-don’t know why, just do. This is a sampler type, each block using many HSTs in different combinations and placement. Some blocks are nice, the stars worked well (or maybe I like stars more, dunno) but some blocks…….lets just say that just because you can put HSTs in certain arrangements doesn’t mean that you should, some just are not attractive.

However, I will use self-discipline and finish it.

Meanwhile, check out some fantastic work by truly gifted quilters over at JudyL’s .

9 comments:

marcella said...

I have been resisting that bow tie challenge myself. There are just too many fun things to sew and not enough time! I like how your sample ones are turning out. Maybe you can turn that sampler into what you like by just making more of the blocks you like out of the fabrics. Then you end up with something you'd be more happy to work on and have in the end.

Jack said...

Happy Anniversary to one of the happiest couples I know.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

I like your cheddar bow ties, I really enjoy making a few new blocks now and then and sometimes they become a quilt and sometimes not. Maybe on your Buck a Block you could just make a couple more of the ones you already like and make a runner or something. Happy Anniversary!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Really like these bow ties on the cheddar; just makes them pop right out. Very pretty.

sewprimitive karen said...

41 years, that is an accomplishment! Happy Anniversary, Gail!

Mary said...

I was intending to do that challenge as well, then got into a quilt along using the Jacob's Ladder block instead. I think you made the right decision with the cheddar and red. It will be very striking and the bow tie block gives you lots of options for designs.

Kate said...

Very cool bowties.

I agree the blocks you get from the buck-a-block don't always work well.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I love the cheddar! Who cares about "supposed to"? Have fun and enjoy your new project! :)

scraphappy said...

Adorable little bow-ties. It does take discipline not to rush through and finish all the leaders and enders.....ask me how I know;)